A partnership report by Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei and Koi Tū: The Centre for Informed Futures has examined how the COVID-19 lockdown has impacted on young Māori students’ educational experiences. Addressing rangatahi education: Challenges after COVID-19 reports on the challenges faced … Read More
A new Koi Tū Conversation Paper co-authored by Sir Peter Gluckman, Rt Hon Helen Clark and Rob Fyfe calls for a public conversation on when and how New Zealand can reopen to the world. Download the paper, Re-engaging New Zealand … Read More
Our second newsletter, which summarises some of the papers arising from Koi Tū’s The Future Is Now Conversation Series, and showcases other insight/opinion pieces, is out now. Download it here
Sir Peter Gluckman and Dr Vaughan Turekian, Koi Tū international affiliate and Executive Director of policy and global affairs at the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, have written an essay exploring the role of science diplomacy within the … Read More
Sir Peter Gluckman and Dr Anne Bardsley chat with Vincent Heeringa, host of the podcast This Climate Business, about the importance of integrated, long-term planning relating to the environment in post-Covid New Zealand. Listen to the podcast here (34’11”)
The fourth discussion paper in Koi Tū’s The Future is Now Conversations Series, titled The Environment is Now, discusses the centrality of environmental sustainability in decisions about New Zealand’s future. Download the discussion paper here See also: Media release: Environment … Read More
-OPINION- Dr Colin Tukuitonga Associate Member, Koi Tū: The Centre for Informed Futures Introduction The socio-economic circumstances of, and cultural practices among, Pacific communities in Aotearoa/NZ makes some of the measures required to contain or eliminate COVID-19, including contact tracing, … Read More
United Nations Science Technology and Innovation Digital Conference Contributions to the panel on Restructuring of Global Science Technology and Innovation (STI) Cooperation Post-COVID-19 15 May 2020 Sir Peter Gluckman Chair of the International Network for Government Science Advice President-Elect of … Read More
– INSIGHT – Sir Peter Gluckman Chair, INGSA The Covid-19 pandemic has brought the interface between science and political decision making into sharp focus. The media and public in many countries are being confronted daily not only by a wide … Read More
Sir Peter Gluckman was on tv/radio show Sarah’s Country to talk about the central role of farmers and the primary sector in future proofing the New Zealand economy. Listen to the podcast (~13 min) on YouTube (below) or Podcast.co.
In a wide ranging long-form conversation with BLAKE’s Jacob Anderson, Sir Peter Gluckman discusses the paths forward for post-COVID-19 New Zealand, the importance of transdisciplinarity, and how we can also tackle the issues of climate change, mental health wellbeing and … Read More
The second discussion paper of the Koi Tū: The Future is Now Series, titled He Oranga Hou: Social cohesion in a post-COVID world, examines the critical issue of how New Zealand’s strong national unity during lockdown will become increasingly tested … Read More
In a commentary published by the International Science Council, Sir Peter Gluckman reflects on the need for the prevailing human development paradigm to be broadened beyond its economic foundation. He argues that questions around the measurement of human capital could … Read More
Our first newsletter is out! Read about the range of activities Koi Tū has undertaken to demonstrate its value as a source of informed insight in the wake of Covid-19 and its challenges. Download it here
– OPINION – A new proposal for digital contact tracing has unique strengths, writes Koi Tū Research Fellow Dr Andrew Chen. Another week has passed, with a lot of activity in the digital contact tracing space. The Prime Minister … Read More
The COVID-19 pandemic shows how critical it is for governments to plan and think long term. While it’s natural for most people to focus on the short-term and surviving COVID-19, we must not lose sight of the importance of longer-term … Read More
– OPINION – Professor David R Penman Director, David Penman & Associates Professor Stephen L Goldson FRSNZ Affiliate member, Koi Tū Principal Scientist, AgResearch and Professor, Bio-Protection Research Centre, Lincoln University Between us, having spent 100 years on pest … Read More
In an opinion piece for ResearchProfessional News, Sir Peter Gluckman writes about the immense challenge COVID-19 has posed to evidence-informed policymaking, and the need for science advice systems to adapt to address this and other global crises.
– OPINION – The concept of digital contract tracing raises tough questions that require hard decisions, writes Koi Tū Research Fellow Dr Andrew Chen. Since we discussed contact tracing in the media over the past week, our Centre has … Read More
– OPINION – Dr Tatjana Buklijas Associate Director – Teaching, Koi Tū: the Centre for Informed Futures As governments around the world try to contain the pandemic of Covid-19, they often draw on experiences of past epidemics. The swift and … Read More
– OPINION – Kristiann Allen Associate Director, Policy and International Engagement, Koi Tū: the Centre for Informed Futures We are living in an extraordinary time. The pandemic now gripping the planet – massive and urgent in itself – is … Read More
– INSIGHT – Dr Anne Bardsley Deputy Director, Koi Tū: the Centre for Informed Futures Resilience relates to the ability of an organization/country to adapt or transform positively in response to significant transitions or threats to its wellbeing, arising … Read More
There is a lot of interest in whether COVID-19 transmission is affected by temperature, and in particular what will happen as New Zealand enters autumn and then winter. The available data are of course limited and largely ecological in nature, … Read More
The International Network for Government Science Advice (INGSA) has launched a new database of resources on the effective utilisation of evidence into policy and practice with respect to COVID-19. INGSA Chair Sir Peter Gluckman explained to Times Higher Education the … Read More
– INSIGHT – Sir Peter Gluckman Director, Koi Tū: The Centre for Informed Futures The COVID-19 pandemic has brought into stark focus the interaction between science, experts, society, policy making and politics. Across the world this interaction is playing out … Read More
Our first newsletter is out! Hear from SciPoDS Director Sir Peter Gluckman, learn about the SciPoDS Advisory Board and find out some of the activities that our members have been involved in recently. To subscribe to our newsletter, please fill … Read More
Sir Peter gave a speech to the Lisbon Council, a Brussels-based think tank and policy network, at a high-level roundtable on The Future of Work: How Better Family Policy and Access to Lifetime Learning Will Drive Europe’s Development. Notes for … Read More
Sir Peter was awarded an Honorary Doctorate by the University of Bergen, Norway, and gave a speech on Science in a global perspective – challenges ahead. The speech notes can be downloaded here. Sir Peter’s acceptance speech on behalf of … Read More
Sir Peter delivered the keynote lecture at the 2019 Horticulture NZ conference. Media and links: Speech notes Media release Media reports in RNZ, Stuff, and NZ Herald (article 1 | article 2)
Sir Peter talked about the 10 rules for policy brokerage at the Universities Policy Engagement Network (UPEN) meeting on evidence-policy brokerage. The Powerpoint slides are available here.
Sir Peter gave an address at a University of Oxford workshop honouring Jerry Ravetz (who along with Silvio Funtowicz developed the concept of post-normal science), on the occasion of his 90th birthday. The speech notes are available here.
Sir Peter delivered a lecture on Translating evidence to policy: principles and practice at a workshop in Copenhagen jointly organised by INGSA and the EU’s LifeCycle Project. The Powerpoint slides can be downloaded here.
Sir Peter delivered a lecture on Expanding the diplomatic toolkit: the further evolution of science diplomacy, as part of Wolfson College’s Diplomacy for the 21st century lecture series. This lecture was also delivered to the New Zealand High Commission on … Read More
Sir Peter Gluckman delivered the keynote address at an INGSA capacity building workshop on science advice that was run at the 2019 Global Young Academy AGM and international conference in Halle, Germany. The Powerpoint slides can be downloaded here.
This ANZAC day, Sir Peter Gluckman gave an address to the ANZAC ceremony at Auckland Grammar School.
Sir Peter Gluckman spoke at the launch of the inaugural Kupe Leadership Scholarships on Democracy, Leadership, Difficult Conversations and Truth-Decay. The speech notes can be downloaded here. The Kupe Leadership Scholarships offer a bespoke leadership development programme alongside the scholars’ … Read More
Sir Peter Gluckman made the keynote introduction to the October 2018 OECD meeting on standards of evidence in policy advice. The presentation slides can be downloaded here. Background Fostering evidence-informed policy making in a post-truth context is challenging. Governments recognise … Read More